IISER Pune - Admission open for Ph.D. Program in Biology, Apply by March 3, 2023!
IISER Pune is Admitting students for Ph.D. Program in Biology.
IISER Pune hosts a diverse group of researchers working in various areas. Research in Biology at IISER Pune encompasses both theoretical and experimental approaches.
Molecular Biology / Cell Biology / Biochemistry: For students interested in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Cancer Biology, Cellular Biophysics, Chromosome Biology, Developmental Biology, Epigenetics, Immunology, Microbiology, Neurobiology, and Structural Biology.
Application Criteria -
All candidates who fulfill criterion A1 and any one of the criteria mentioned in A2 are eligible to apply.
Based on the applications received, IISER Pune will create the list of students to be invited for the first round of online interviews scheduled between March 29-31, 2023.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria :
A1. Masters' (or B.E., B.Tech., M.Tech., MBBS) degree holders in any branch of science including Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biological Sciences, Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Biodiversity, Psychology, or equivalent.
For applicants from the General/OBC/EWS category: Applicants must have a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage and not just in the major subject) or an equivalent CGPA.
For applicants from SC, ST, or PwD categories: Applicants must have a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate (overall percentage and not just in the major subject) or an equivalent CGPA.
Students whose final results in their Master's or equivalent are yet to be declared can also apply. However, if selected, the offer for these students will be provisional, subject to their fulfilling the above criteria at the time of admission.
A2. Applicants must have any one of the following qualifications.
- JGEEBILS: Those students who appeared for JGEEBILS in December 2022 are requested to temporarily select “Yes” in the application form for the question that asks if you have qualified for JGEEBILS. Please note that IISER Pune will shortlist the candidates based on the scores of the students and will invite only the ones who make this shortlist.
- Qualified for a National Level Eligibility Examination that provides a 5-year Ph.D. fellowship such as CSIR–JRF / UGC–JRF / DBT–JRF–A / ICMR–JRF / DBT–BINC–JRF / Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship/ National Fellowship for Scheduled Caste Students by CSIR-UGC / National Fellowship for Higher Education of ST Students / National Fellowship for OBC Candidates / National Fellowship for persons with disabilities (NFPWD).
The aforementioned fellowships must be valid on August 31, 2023.
- Qualified JEST, or GPAT, or NBHM with a valid score on August 31, 2023. In case, the exam does not mention validity explicitly, the validity will be taken to be 3 years from the date of intimation of the result to the candidate.
- INSPIRE-PhD fellowship (Should have provisional selection letter at the time of Interview).
- IISER BS-MS dual degree students with CGPA ≥ 8.0
- Qualified for GATE exams (GATE Life Sciences, GATE Chemistry, GATE Eco-Evo, GATE Biotechnology, and GATE Mathematics). The GATE score must be valid on August 31, 2023.
For all the national-level eligibility examinations which provide a common rank/score, the cut-off rank/score for shortlisting for the Interviews for the reserved categories shall be lowered to 1.25 times the General category rank/score.
Shortlisting and Interview Process:
Meeting the above-mentioned criteria makes the candidate eligible for only the application step. IISER Pune reserves the right to use other/ more stringent criteria for shortlisting candidates for the interview stages. Please note that additional criteria will be used to select the candidates invited for interviews. Furthermore, the content detailed in the “Research Design” and “Design an experiment” can also be used for shortlisting interviews.
Only those candidates who have been shortlisted for the interview stages will be informed of further details. Therefore, all candidates are requested to check this page regularly for updates. The referees of the shortlisted candidates alone shall be contacted for the reference letters.
Application timeline for August 2023 Batch:
|January 23, 2023||Application opens|
|Last date was extended from Feb 20, 2023, to March 3, 2023, at 5:00 pm (IST)||Application close|
|March 29, 2023, to March 31, 2023||First Round of Interviews (Online mode)|
|May 8, 2023, and May 9, 2023||Final Round of Interviews (In-person mode)|